Followers

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Shaved Ice

OK who took this picture....It wasn't me. This is JO JO's in Wiamiea, Kauai. According to Lisette they have the best Shave Ice on the Island.
Nice face Toyke! It has no reflection on the shaved ice... Of course, I can't keep a secret...I took this picture of Toyke on Tuesday and he took the picture of me on Wednesday...yes, we went for Shaved Ice two days in a row!
Pregnant people, I should say women, have never been Toyke's favorite ... um... shape. So, when we saw this poster in the Jo Jo's, well, he was surprised. With his experience surfing I don't think he could comprehend how such prego woman could actually surf and not hurt herself...I think we'll just leave that one alone.
Ok, so this is the best shaved ice on the island. As you can see this establishment has "no stars" Both times we've been there the same guy has been working the shop, he takes about 4 peoples orders which can add up to 8-10 shaved ices, there is no cash register. He then goes to the other side of the establishment and makes the shaved ices himself and hands them out in the order they were sold and then goes back and takes 4 or so more orders. He's not in a hurry or frazled by the line up which is usually out the door. I know that it would have driven my father nuts, he was not an efficiency expert like Toyke's father but he was always thinking about efficiency, like when he was canning peaches with me...anyway, that's another story.
Back to the shaved ice...on the bottom is macnut ice cream (and it's really good) and then the shaved ice is on top of that with red and yellow flavoring...it's the pinacoloda special so you can figure out for yourself what the flavor actually is, I just know it as really good. And, then on top of that they add coconut cream...yes, it's better than...hum, chocolate?



No comments: