Followers

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Honduras, Lepaera.....Market Place Day

As market day moves along people come from all over and they setup all over the place. The green walled building belongs to Marcos parents and the yellow walled place belongs to Marco and Meredith Notice how the tarps are right against the buildings. Well at Meredith and Marcos place the front door is blocked.




THis picture is taken from the bridge at the bottom of the road from Merediths place. On Market Day (Sunday)the whole street is full. The Thursday market day is not as full...at least it was not when we were there.

Marco and Meredith getting their shopping done

Marco checking out some fruit and vegy's








And as I walk thru the market all eyes turn on me...must be my good looks.....Yup its getting thick in here.





Donkey loaded with firewood....to sell....or just passing thru, were not sure.



On Thursdays and Sundays the street in front of Merediths turns into a market place. People come from all over to sell what ever they can. Clothes, shoes..(non would come close to fitting me), fruit, vegetables, fish, corn and flour tortias. And a lot of other things. The street is so crowded it was a wonder that any cars could drive thru. They start arriving early early in the morning and by 7 AM the street is full. We decided to venture out into the market and everyone, I mean everyone was looking at us. They would come real close, maybe 10" away and just stare. I was white and I was at least a head if not 2 heads taller than most people. I even had one guy follow me around. Everytime I turned around there he was. My new best friend.






It was real fun to check out the market. All who were there were trying their best to make enough money to live off of for the next week..not an easy thing there.




Heres Jaun Valdez the coffee bean guy as I call him. His product like the guy with the firewood have come in on Donkeys. Other come by car, truck, back packing and others by balancing their stuff on their heads....I would get a sore neck








The average working person in Lepaera makes between 5 and 700 limpera a week. Thats like 37 US dollars a week. Not much. We here can spend anywhere from 30 to 100 dollars or more for a dinner for 2. There maybe 30 US dollars for a week or more worth of food.

No comments: