Followers

Saturday, January 30, 2010

A Day For Hiking

Today we decided to hike some trails at the top of Wiamea Canyon. Mark had some trails picked out, so we headed out.

Mark went off on his own ahead of us because he was going further than we were. Since none of us had done any hiking in the previous few months.....being in shape for this was a big Question.

As we started we all left together, after just a short distance Mark was off....almost at a run....and we plodded along at a much slower rate.

As we were walking I was thinking (we have to come back this way ugh its going to be hard) this is pretty steep, we better take it slow and thats what we did.

2 hours later we had gone as far as we were going to go. A strenuous hike it was. Many wet and slippery spots, not only that it was steep and narrow in many spots. Not your everyday hiking trail. we had gone maybe 3 to 3 1/4 miles.

The sites were beautiful. Where we turned around...which was not the end,,,,We could see the end, but that was another 1/2 hour of hiking and I wasn't sure we would be able to make it back....or should I say I was wondering if I was going to make it back.

The Hike back was tough, rough and just plain not easy. Uphill all the way. It took us 2 1/2 hours to get back.

Once back I filled up on some water....what ever water I could find......Everyone was wondering if I would even make it.

We were to meet Mark up the road about 2 miles as his finish spot looped to a different ending spot. So we waited......and waited.....and every move we made while waiting was painful. Our muscles were protesting big time. A little stretching, some water and some granola bars helped....but not much.

At 10 minutes past 5 PM I decided to go find Mark....I was worried. he had been hiking for 6 hours and was only going 9 miles....He should have been back by now.....Thing was I wasn't in that great a shape myself. Off I went with a can of diet pepsi.....I don't drink it....it was for Mark.

And some granola bars. As I hiked I came to several spots that my brain said if you go down there you'll never get back up...and off I would go until I got to another spot where I would again say If I go down there I'll never make it back up.

Well 2 1/2 hours later we walked out of the trail head and into a nice comfortable car. All of us safe with stories to tell. Each a little different.

A hike we will never forget.

Did I forget to say that while we were getting ready for our hike Lisette was doing this.

No comments: